AP Chapter 19
AP Chapter 19
The InterWar Years: The Challenge of Dictators and Depression
Why did the Paris settlement fail to bring peace and prosperity to Europe?
What key factors combined to produce the Great Depression?
What was the relationship between politics and economics in the early decades of the Soviet Union?
What did Fascism mean to Mussolini and his supporters?
Why did democracy fail to thrive in postwar Germany?
What shared challenges did the successor states face in eastern Europe?
After Versailles: Demands for Revision and Enforcement
Toward the Great Depression
III. The Soviet Experiment
The Fascist Experiment in Italy
German Democracy and Dictatorship
Trials of the Successor States in Eastern Europe
VII. In perspective
collectivization Duce Fascism Fuhrer Great Depression Great Purges, Kristallnacht Mein Kampf New Economic Policy (NEP) Popular Front Reichstag SS War Communism Weimar Republic
Chapter 19 Review Questions
Toward the Great Depression in Europe:
- What caused the Great Depression? Why was it more severe and why did it last longer than previous economic downturns? Could it have been avoided?
The Soviet Experiment:
- How did Stalin achieve supreme power in the Soviet Union? Why did he decide that Russia had to industrialize rapidly? Why did this require the collectivization of agriculture? Was the policy a success? How did it affect the Russian people? Why did Stalin carry out the great purges?
The Fascist Experiment in Italy:
- Why was Italy dissatisfied and unstable after World War I? How did Mussolini achieve power? What were the characteristics of the Fascist state?
German Democracy and Dictatorship:
- Why did the Weimar Republic collapse in Germany? How did Hitler come to power? Which groups in Germany supported Hitler and why were they pro-Nazi? How did he consolidate his power? Why was anti-Semitism central to Nazi policy?
Trials of the Successor States in Eastern Europe:
- What characteristics did the authoritarian regimes in the Soviet Union, Italy, and Germany have in common? What role did terror play in each?
- Why did liberal democracy fail in the successor states of Eastern Europe?